Drawing courtesy of Mr. Ed Furman, P.O. Box 1133, Palestine, Texas - (903) 584-3288
Anderson County marks the gateway from the flat blackland prairies into the hilly forest region of deep East Texas. Originally it was part of David G. Burnet's Colony from 1844 until annexation. A mineral ridge divides the rolling wooded surface of 1,068 square miles forming a valley east to the Neches River. The average altitude is approximately 500 feet above sea level.