Smith County, Texas

This page is sponsored by the East Texas Genealogical Society

HOMES & PEOPLE

FRANK BELL HOUSE - CR 134, South of Tyler - Medallion and Plate - 1978

THE FRANK BELL HOUSE

FRANK AND SARAH (SWANN) BELL, DESCENDANTS OF 1850s EAST TEXAS PIONEERS, BUILT THIS CLASSICAL REVIVAL HOUSE IN TYLER IN 1900. BELL OWNED AND OPERATED A STORE AND A FARM. THE COUPLE HAD EIGHT CHILDREN. ONE SON, FRANK M. BELL, SERVED 1943-66 AS POSTMASTER OF TYLER. BANKER-CIVIC LEADER HENRY MARSH BELL, ANOTHER SON, INHERITED THE HOUSE. IT REMAINED IN HIS FAMILY UNTIL 1960. THREATED WITH DESTRUCTION, IT WAS MOVED HERE IN 1974 AND RESTORED

RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK - (1978)

BONNER SCHOOL/COL. THOMAS R. BONNER/TEXAS IN THE CIVIL WAR - 2235 South Saunders, Tyler - Granite marker - 1965

SCHOOL NAMED FOR TEXAS CONFEDERATE - COLONEL THOMAS R. BONNER - 1836-1891

BORN IN MISSISSIPPI, CAME TO TEXAS 1849. IN TEXAS MILITIA AT START OF CIVIL WAR. ELECTED CAPTAIN CO. C, 18TH TEX. INFANTRY C.S.A. 1862. COMMANDED 18TH AS COLONEL, 1863-1865. GALLANTLY LED UNIT IN BATTLES AT BOURBEAU, MANSFIELD, PLEASANT HILL, LA. AND JENKINS' PERRY, ARK., ALL BEING VITAL ACTIONS TO PREVENT FEDERAL INVASIONS OF TEXAS. AFTER THE WAR, ADMITTED TO BAR AND PRACTICED LAW IN TYLER. SERVED IN 11TH, 15TH TEXAS LEGISLATURES AND AS SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE IN 1876. FOUNDED THE FIRST BANK IN TYLER. LEADERS IN BUILDING TYLER TAP RAILROAD. ESTABLISHED AN INSURANCE COMPANY. TRUSTEE EAST TEXAS UNIVERSITY. GRAND MASTER OF MASONS IN TEXAS, 1875.

TEXAS IN THE CIVIL WAR - 1861-1865

TEXAS MADE AN ALL-OUT EFFORT FOR THE CONFEDERACY. AFTER A 3 TO 1 POPULAR VOTE FOR SECESSION. 90,000 TROOPS, FAMED FOR MOBILITY AND DARING, FOUGHT ON EVERY BATTLE FRONT. A 2,000-MILE FRONTIER AND COAST WERE SUCCESSFULLY DEFENDED FROM UNION TROOP INVASION AND SAVAGE INDIANS. TEXAS WAS THE STOREHOUSE OF WESTERN CONFEDERACY. WAGON TRAINS LADEN WITH COTTON-LIFE BLOOD OF THE SOUTH-CORSSED THE STATE TO MEXICO TO TRADE FOR MEDICAL SUPPLIES, CLOTHING, MILITARY AMMUNITION, WAGONS, POTS, KETTLES, LEATHER GOODS, SALT, HOSPITAL SUPPLIES. WIVES, SONS, DAUGHTERS, SLAVES PROVIDED CORN, COTTON, CLOTH, CATTLE, HOGS, CURED MEATS TO THE ARMY, GIVING MUCH, KEEPING LITTLE FOR THEMSELVES.

ERECTED BY THE STATE OF TEXAS 1965
CONNALLY HOME - 700 South Broadway, Tyler - Medallion and Plate - 1983
 
THE CONNALLY HOME

THIS RESIDENCE WAS BUILT IN 1906 FOR PROMINENT TYLER BUSINESSMAN WALTER CONNALLY. CONNALLY'S BUSINESS INTERESTS INCLUDED BANKING, OWNERSHIP OF A GIN EQUIPMENT FIRM, AND PART OWNERSHIP IN A HARDWARE COMPANY. AFTER HIS DEATH IN 1918, CONNALLY'S WIDOW GRETTA CONTINUED TO LIVE IN THE HOME WITH HER SON AND DAUGHTER-IN-LAW. THE HOUSE, WHICH REMAINED IN THE CONNALLY FAMILY FOR MORE THAN 70 YEARS, FEATURES INFLUENCES OF MEDITERRANEAN AND RENAISSANCE REVIVAL STYLING.

RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK - (1983)

RESTORATION ON THE CONNALLY HOUSE WAS BEGUN IN 1978 BY JOHN MUSSELMAN.

MAJOR JOHN DEAN HOUSE - Dean Baptist Church Road, Dean Community - Medallion and plate - 1972

THE MAJOR JOHN DEAN HOUSE

ON LAND BOUGHT JAN. 22, 1863, BY FRANCIS CLARENDA RICE DEAN (1836-76) WITH CONFEDERATE PAY SENT HOME FROM CIVIL WAR POST BY HUSBAND, MAJOR JOHN DEAN (1831-1902), USING LOUISIANA HEART PINE LUMBER THAT HE HIMSELF MILLED AND SEASONED, DEAN HAD HOUSE BUILT IN 1872. AN EX-SLAVE, JESSE DUCKINFIELD, MADE AND BURNED BRICK OF FARM CLAY.
FINEST IN THE COMMUNITY WHEN FINISHED, THE HOUSE REMAINS IN BUILDER'S FAMILY A CENTURY LATER. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK - 1972.

JOHN DEWBERRY HOUSE - FM 346, Teasleville Community - Centennial Granite Marker - 1936 (MEDALLION ONLY, NO DESCRIPTIVE PLATE) (1963)

JUDGE STOCKTON P. DONLEY - Oakwood Cemetery, Tyler - Centennial Granite Marker - 1936

JUDGE STOCKTON P. DONLEY
IN WHOSE HONOR
DONLEY COUNTY WAS NAMED
ASSOCIATE JUSTICE OF THE
SUPREME COURT OF TEXAS
BORN IN MISSOURI
MAY 27, 1831
HIS WIFE
EMMA DONLEY
BORN JULY 15, 1834
DIED JULY 9, 1909
ERECTED BY THE STATE OF TEXAS
1936

DOUGLAS SCHOOL/MAJOR JAMES P. DOUGLAS/GOOD-DOUGLAS BATTERY - 1508 North Haynie, Tyler - Granite Marker - 1965

SCHOOL NAMED FOR TEXAS CONFEDERATE MAJOR JAMES P DOUGLAS - 1836-1901

BORN IN SOUTH CAROLINA. CAME TO TEXAS 1948. LED 50 TYLER MEN, 1861, TO JOIN 50 IN DALLAS TO FORM GOOD-DOUGLAS BATTERY--ONLY TEXAS ARTILERY SERVING EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI. AT CHICKAMAUGA, BATTERY SHOVED ITS BIG GUNS TO EDGE OF FEDERAL RIFLE PITS. GALLANTRY OF DOUGLAS WAS PRAISED. IN 1865 HE RETURNED TO EDITING TYLER "REPORTER." BECAME A LAWYER. WAS IN TEXAS SENATE, 1876-80. JOINED LEADERSHIP OF TYLER TAP RAILRAY. WAS PRESIDENT OF COTTON BELT RAILROAD. LED IN TYLER'S FRUIT AND VEGETABLE GROWING, CANNING INDUSTRY. WAS AN ORGANIZER AND TRUSTEE OF EAST TEXAS UNIVERSITY, TYLER.

GOOD - DOUGLAS TEXAS BATTERY

MARCHED OUT OF TEXAS JULY 9, 1861, AFTER MUCH ROMANTIC FANFARE IN DALLAS. ATTACHED TO 3RD TEXAS CALVARY CAPT. J. J. GOOD OF DALLAS SOON RESIGNED. J. P. DOUGLAS COMMANDED 1862-1865. FOUGHT AT WILSON'S CREEK, MO., PEA RIDGE, ARK., MURFREESBORO, CHICKAMAUGA, MISSIONARY RIDGE, TENN., RINGGOLD GAP, KENNESAW MOUNTAIN, ATLANTA, GA., FRANKL;IN AND NASHVILLE, TENN., AND OTHER BATTLES. CAPTURED FEDERAL GUNS WERE THE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT. DOUGLAS' MEN BECAME THE MOST ILLUSTRIOUS TEXAS FIELD ARTILLERY BATTERY IN WAR. THEY COVERED CONFEDERATE WITHDRAWAL UNDER FIRE, NASHVILLE, FEB. 1865, AND THEIR GUNS WERE CAPTURED. AT SIEGE OF MOBILE, MARCH-APRIL, 1865, FIELD GUNS WERE ISSUED TO DOUGLAS. THESE THE MEN OF THE DOUGLAS BATTERY LAID DOWN IN HONOR AS THE WAR CAME TO ITS END.

(ERECTED BY THE STATE OF TEXAS 1965)

JOHN GARY HOUSE - US 69 - Medallion - 1963 - THE GARY HOUSE (MEDALLION ONLY, NO DESCRIPTIVE PLATE) (1963)

GOODMAN HOME - 624 North Broadway, Tyler - Medallion and Plaate - 1963

GOODMAN HOME, 1857-

BEGUN BY GALLATIN SMITH, AS "BONNIE CASTLE." BOUGHT, 1866, BY DR. S.A. GOODMAN. ENLARGED BY HIS SON, MAJOR W.J. GOODMAN, SURGEON IN 13TH TEXAS INFANTRY, C.S.A. REMODELED IN 1920'S BY MRS. SALLIE GOODMAN LE GRAND, THE MAJOR'S LASST SURVIVOR. WILLED TO CITY OF TYLER, 1939. SMITH COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY MUSEUM HOUSED HERE SINCE 1960. RESTORED 1964 BY JUNIOR LEAGUE OF TYLER.

RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK 1964

ERASMUS M. HANNA HOUSE - 118 North Georgia, Troup - Medallion and Marker - 1968

THE ERASMUS M. HANNA HOUSE

BUILT ABOUT 1872 BY DR. HANNA, ONE OF THE FOUNDERS OF TROUP, AND AN INVESTOR IN EAST TEXAS RAILROADS AND CLAY INDUSTRIES. BESIDES HIS MEDICAL PRACTICE, HIS INTERESTS INCLUDED FIRST HOTEL IN TROUP. WIFE, VIRGINIA MORRIS HANNA, WAS DAUGHTER OF EAST TEXAS PIONEERS, JUDGE AND MRS. STEPHEN DECATUR MORRIS. FIVE GENERATIONS OF HANNA DESCENDANTS HAVE LIVED HERE.

VICTORIAN ARCHITECTURE, BEADED BAY WINDOWS, HIGH ARCHED GABLES, OF CYPRESS, PINE, CEDAR WOODS.

RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK - 1968

JAMES CALHOUN HILL - Meador Cemetery, Southeast of Tyler - Gravesite Marker - 1978

JAMES CALHOUN HILL
(SEPTEMBER , 1840 - NOVEMBER 17, 18 )

MIGRATING IN 1840 FROM ALABAMA TO TEXAS, JAMES CALHOUN HILL LED THE FIRST PERMANENT SETTLERS INOT THIS VICINITY. HE SERVED ON THE COMMISSION THAT RAN BOUNDRIED OF SMITH COUNTY AND PLATTED THE COUNTY SEAT IN 1846. PROSPERING AS A SURVEYOR AND PLANT IN THE 1850S, HE WAS BLIND AND REDUCED IN MEANS BY 1865 WHEN THE CIVIL WAR ENDED. IN 1874 HE DONATED LAND TO BRING A RAILROAD INTO THE COUNTY. HE AND HIS WIFE REBECCA MAR HILL HAD ELEVEN CHILDREN.
(RECORDED 1978)

HUBBARD SCHOOL/GOVERNOR RICHARD B. HUBBARD - 1300 Hubbard Drive, Tyler - Granite Marker - 1965

SCHOOL NAMED FOR TEXAS CONFEDERATE
COLONEL RICHARD B. HUBBARD - 1832-1901

GEORGIA-BORN, CAME TO TEXAS 1853. TYLER LAWYER, POLITICIAN, STATE LEGISLATOR. RAISED 5TH TEX. INF. BN., MERGED 1862 IN HUBBARD'S REGT. 22ND TEX. INF. IN 1863 CAMPAIGN TO STOP SPLIT OF SOUTH ON THE MISSISSIPP1 RIVER, UNIT HELPED RELIEVE VICKSBURG SIEGE. INTERRUPTED SUPPLIES FOR FEDERALS, GAVE MILITARY SUPPORT TO DROVERS PUSHING CATTLE ACROSS RIVER TO CONFEDERATES. REGT. FOUGHT IN 1864 RED RIVER CAMPAIGN TO STOP INVASION TEXAS.

ERECTED BY THE STATE OF TEXAS - 1965
GOVERNOR R. B. HUBBARD

FAMED FOR STATESMANSHIP FROM 1856. WAS KNOWN AS "DEMOSTHENES OF TEXAS" FOR HIS ORATORY. VOICE CARRIED FOR MILES. 1874 HE HELPED OVERTURN TEXAS CARPET-BAGGER REGIME. HIS SPEECH AT 1876 PHILADELTHIA CENTENNIAL BROUGHT STREAM OF MIGRATION TO TEXAS. AS GOVERNOR, 1876-79, HE SAW TO SUPPRESSION OF LAND FRAUDS, REDUCTION OF STATE DEBT, REORGANIZATION OF PENAL SYSTEM CALLED FOR AN AMPLE JUDICIARY, IMPROVED LAW ENFORCEMENT TO EXTENT OF STOPPING SUCH BADMEN AS SAM BASS. GAVE BOOSTS TO RAILROAD BUILDING IN TEXAS. APTLY, A RAILROAD LOCOMOTIVE WAS NAMED FOR HIM. HIS CELEBRATED WEIGHT WAS RUMORED TO BE OVET 400 POUNDS.
AN OVERSIZE TUB HAD TO BE INSTALLED FOR HIM TN THE GOVERNOR'S MANSION. YET HE WAS COURTLY, FAST-STEPPING, VIGOROUS. AMBASSADOR TO JAPAN, 1885-89, HE NEGOTIATED FIRST U. S. EXTRADITION TREATY WITH JAPAN. LIFETIME HONORS INCLUDED VIRTUALLY EVERY PARTY OFFICE. AS A PUBLIC MAN HE SOUGHT TO HONOR IDEALS OF THE ORIGINAL REPUBLIC.

RICHARD BENNETT HUBBARD - Oakwood Cemetery, Tyler - Subject Marker - 1982

RICHARD BENNETT HUBBARD
(1832-1901)

GEORGIA NATIVE RICHARD BENNETT HUBBARD CAME TO TEXAS IN 1853 AND SET UP A LAW PRACTICE IN TYLER WITH B. T. SELMAN,
LATER A STATE SENATOR. POLITICALLY ACTIVE, HUBBARD BECAME A LEADING SPOKESMAN FOR THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY. HIS EARLY CAREER IN GOVERNMENT INCLUDED SERVICE AS U. S. ATTORNEY FOR THE WESTERN DISTRICT OF TEXAS 1857-59, AND STATE LEGISLATOR 1859-61.

AT THE OUTBREAK OF THE CIVIL WAR HUBBARD RAISED A BATALLION, WHICH LATER BECAME THE 22ND TEXAS INFANTRY REGIMENT. HE WAS
THE ONLY COLONEL OF THE UNIT, WHICH PARTICIPATED IN THE 1864 BATTLE OF MANSFIELD, LA., AS WELL AS OTHER SKIRMISHES. AFTER THE WAR HE RETURNED TO TYLER BUT FOUND HIS LAW PRACTICE RESTRICTED BY THE RECONSTRUCTION GOVERNMENT. AS A RESULT, HE TURNED HIS ATTENTION TO RAILROADS AND WAS INSTRUMENTAL IN THE EARLY DEVELOPMENT OF AREA RAIL LINES.

HUBBARD LAS ELECTED LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR OF TEXAS IN 1873. THREE YEARS LATER HE BECAME GOVERNOR WHEN RICHARD COKE RESIGNED THE OFFICE TO SERVE AS U.S. SENATOR. AN AMBASSADOR TO JAPAN IN THE ADMINISTRATION OF PRESIDENT GROVER CLEVELAND, HUBBARD WAS NOTED FOR HIS ORATORICAL ABILITY AND HIS DEVOTION TO PUBLIC SERVICE. HIS LEADERSHIP WAS INSTRUMETAL IN TEXAS' GROWTH DURING THE LATTER PART OF THE 19TH CENTURY. (1982)

KAY HOUSE - State Highway No. 155, north of Winona - Subject Marker - 1983

THE KAY HOUSE

SOUTH CAROLINA PLANTER FRANCIS LEMUEL KAY (1814-1867) SETTLED IN SMITH COUNTY IN 1856. BETWEEN 1856 AND 1860, KAY BOUGHT 640 ACRES OF LAND AND BUILT THIS TWO-STORY HOME FOR HIS WIFE MARY ELLEN (BLACK) (1826-1896) AND THEIR ELEVEN CHILDREN. BY 1860 KAY OWNED AND OPERATED 1300 ACRES OF FARM AND RANCHLAND. THE KAY FAMILY SOLD THE PROPERTY TO THE COMBINATION ORCHARD COMPANY IN 1909 AND THE HOUSE BECAME THE HEADQUARTERS FOR THE COMPANY'S PECAN ORCHARDS. IN 1937 THE HUNT OIL COMPANY BOUGHT THE HOUSE AND LAND AND HAS CONTINUED TO OPERATE THE PECAN BUSINESS

(1983)
KAREN ANN KAY ESBERGER & E. JAMES ESBERGER

LOFTIN-WIGGINS HOUSE - 610 North Bois d'Arc, Tyler - Medallion and Plate - 1974

LOFTIN-WIGGINS HOUSE

ED B. WIGGINS (D. 1909), PROSPEROUS GROCER AND LATER CLERK OF TYLER SESSION OF THE COURT OF CRIMINAL APPEALS, BUILT THE FIRST FLOOR OF THIS HOUSE IN 1867. JANIE ROBERTS, SISTER OF HIS WIFE ELIZA, MARRIED GOV. RICHARD B. HUBBARD HERE IN 1869. A SOCIAL CENTER FOR LEADING TYLER CITIZENS, THE HOUSE WAS ACQUIRED IN 1912 BY WIGGINS'S SON-IN-LAW, JAMES SMITH LOFTIN, WHO ADDED THE TOP STORY. IN 1962 MR. AND MRS. DAVID HOOD PURCHASED AND RESTORED THE STRUCTURE.

RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK-1974

MILBURN - GARY HOUSE - US 69, North of Tyler - 1996

MARSH SCHOOL/COL.BRYAN MARSH/TEXAS CIVIL WAR MANUFACTURING - 800 North Bois d'Arc - Granite Marker - 1965

SCHOOL NAMED FOR TEXAS CONFEDERATE COLONEL BRYAN MARSH - 1833-1901

ALABAMA NATIVE, CAME TO TYLER 1854-1861 WAS CAPTAIN CO. C. 17TH TEXAS CALVARY. IN 1863 CONFEDERATE CAMPAIGNS TO PREVENT SPLIT OF SOUTH ALONG MISSISSIPPI RIVER. HE WAS ONE OF THE 4,500 C. S. A. MEN ATTACKED BY 30,000 FEDERALS AT ARKANSAS POST IN JAN. 1863. TAKEN PRISONER THERE, HE WAS EXCHANGED IN MAY. PUT INTO BRAGG'S ARMY IN TENNESSEE. LATER, IN ATLANTA FIGHTING LOST RIGHT ARM. RETURNED TO FIGHT UNTIL LEE SURRENDERED. IN 1880's WAS CAPTAIN OF CO. B, FRONTIER BTTN., TEXAS RANGERS. QUELLED RIOT BETWEEN TOWN AND SOLDIERS AT FORT CONCHO. ENDED GUNPLAY IN RAILROAD CONSTRUCTION TOWNS. FOUGHT INDIANS. WAS SMITH COUNTY SHERIFF FOR 20 YEARS.

TEXAS CIVIL WAR MANUFACTURING

HEAVY MILITARY DEMANDS - 90,000 TEXAS TROOPS, 2,000 MI. FRONTIER AND COASTLINE TO GUARD - PLUS REDUCED IMPORTS, CAUSED FAST EXPANSION OF TEXAS INDUSTRY. ARMS AND MUNITIONS PLANTS WERE BUILT, ONE BEING HERE IN TYLER. IN SOME INSTANCES LAND GRANTS WERE USED TO ENCOURAGE PRODUCTION. STATE AND PRIVATE INDUSTRY STEPPED UP PACE TO HELP MEET MILITARY AND CIVILIAN NEEDS OF WAGONS, KETTLES, POTS, LEATHER GOODS, CLOTHING, HOSPITAL SUPPLIES. THE TEXAS PENAL SYSTEM MADE 1,712,328 YARDS OF CLOTH IN TWO YEARS FOR THE WAR EFFORT. PRODUCTIONS OF SALT AND "KING COTTON" WAS HIKED TO TRADE FOR SCARCE ITEMS IN MEXICO. LADIES AID SOCIETIES SPUN AND SEWED TO OUTFIT SOLDIERS. THE CONFEDERATE QUARTERMASTER ESTABLISHED DEPOTS AND SHOPS FOR MILITARY GOODS. TEXAS WAS STOREHOUSE AND LIFELINE FOR THE CONFEDERACY.

ERECTED BY THE STATE OF TEXAS 1965

JOHN FRANKLIN OVERTON - Elkins Cemetery, Omen Community - Graveside Marker - 1974

JOHN FRANKLIN OVERTON
(MAY 24, 1816-JULY 29, 1879

BORN IN MAURY COUNTY, TENN., CAME TO TEXAS IN 1845 WITH HIS WIFE, JANE JAMESON OVERTON, AND MOTHER, SUSAN ALEXANDER OVERTON. HE RECEIVED LAND GRANTS TOTALING 1600 ACRES. HIS WIFE DIED IN 1849, AND HE MARRIED MARY D. WALKER IN 1852. THEY HAD 11 CHILDREN. DURING THE CIVIL WAR HE SOLD SUPPLIES TO THE CONFEDERACY AND WAS ADDRESSED AS "COLONEL". IN 1871, HE DONATED LAND TO THE INTERNATIONAL RAILROAD COMPANY, AND THE TOWN OF OVERTON (8 MILES NE) WAS NAMED IN HIS HONOR

RECORDED - 1974

PATTERSON HOME - 1311 West Oakwood, Tyler - Medallion and Plate - 1975

THE PATTERSON HOME

THIS STRUCTURE BEGAN AS A DOG-TROT CABIN ERECTED BEFORE 1854 BY JOHN LOLLAR AND LATER OWNED BY PIONEER DOCTOR J.C. MOORE. IT WAS SOLD IN 1871 TO JOHN M. PATTERSON (1817-94) AND ACQUIRED IN 1880 BY HIS SON, JOHN P. PATTERSON (1847-1911). IN 1882 THE SECOND FLOOR WAS ADDED AND THE EXTERIOR DECORATED WITH VICTORIAN
DETAILING. THE HOUSE WAS THEN THE CENTER OF A LARGE FARM. OWNED (1975) BY PEARL PATTERSON, IT HAS HOUSED THE PATTERSON FAMILY FOR OVER 100 YEARS.

RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK - (1975)
GEORGE R. PHILIPS HOUSE (moved from Smith County)
THE GEORGE R. PHILLIPS HOUSE

BUILT IN 1880 FOR MERCHANT AND CIVIC LEADER GEORGE ROSS PHILIPS (1853-1944), THIS TWO-STORY HOUSE WAS ORIGINALLY LOCATED ON SOUTH BROADWAY IN TYLER. CONTRACTORS FORD & BASKIN, WHO ERECTED THE STRUCTURE, LATER BUILT PHILIP'S STORE ON THE COURTHOUSE SQUARE. IN THIS ELEGANT VICTORIAN RESIDENCE, PHILIPS AND HIS WIFE ADA (TOWNSEND) (D. 1925) RAISED THEIR FAMILY OF FIVE CHILDREN. THE HOUSE WAS MOVED. (1978)

RAMEY HOUSE - 605 South Broadway - Medallian and Plate

RAMEY HOUSE

AN IMPORTANT EXAMPLE OF TURN-OF-THE-CENTURY DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE, THE HOME OF THOMAS BROWN AND MARY JOSEPHINE (SPENCER) RAMEY WAS CRAFTED OF VIRGIN CYPRESS AND SOUTHERN HEART PINE IN 1903. THE ARCHITECTURAL STYLE OF THE HOUSE IS TYPICAL OF THE REVIVAL INTEREST IN COLONIAL AMERICAN HISTORY AND THE LAST 19TH CENTURY CLASSICAL MOVEMENT. THOMAS BOYD RAMEY (1892-1967), A PROMINENT LOCAL ATTORNEY AND FOUNDER OF TYLER'S ROSE FESTIVAL, LIVED IN THE HOME WITH HIS FAMILY UNTIL HIS DEATH.

RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK - 1997

WHITAKER-McCLENDON HOUSE - 806 West Houston, Tyler - Medallion and Plate - 1988

WHITAKER-McCLENDON HOUSE

BUILT ABOUT 1880 FOR ATTORNEY HARRISON MORES WHITAKER AND HIS WIFE, MATTIE, DAUGHTER OF TEXAS SUPREME COURT JUSTICE MICAJAH H. BONNER, THIS IS ONE OF THE FEW REMAINING HIGH VICTORIAN RESIDENCES IN TYLER. THE HOME WAS PURCHASED BY MATTIE'S SISTER, ANNIE, AND HER HUSBAND, SIDNEY SMITH McCLENDON, IN 1907. IT REMAINED IN THE McCLENDON FAMILY UNTIL 1979. WITH ITALIANATE AND EASTLAKE STYLE INFLUENCES, THE HOME FEATURES AN ASYMMETRICAL PLAN AND OUTSTANDING DETAILING.

RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK - (1988)

SARTAIN HOMESTEAD - CR 257, East of Arp - Subject Marker - 1983

SARTAIN HOMESTEAD

JOHN GRAYSON SARTAIN (1834-1905) AND HIS WIFE ELIZA ELVIRA (GAUT) (1837-1918) BOUGHT LAND HERE IN 1868 AND BEGAN CONSTRUCTION OF THIS FRAME HOME, USING TIMBER FROM THEIR PROPERTY. LATER, NEIGHBORS HELPED PLACE THE HOUSE ON A SLED AND USED OXEN AND MULES TO DRAG IT 1/4 MILE TO THIS LOCATION. IN 1913 SARTAIN'S SON LEE AND HIS WIFE CORA (WILSON) BOUGHT THE FARM AND THE FAMILY MOVED INTO A TENT IN THE FRONT YARD WHILE A SECOND STORY WAS BEING CONSTRUCTED. LEE SARTAIN SERVED AS AN ARP BANKER AND CONTINUED TO RAISE COTTON AND PEACHES ON THIS FARM, OWNED BY THE FAMILY FOR OVER A CENTURY. (1983)

NICOLAS WREN - Harris Creek Baptist Church yard, near Winona - Granite Marker - 1968

NICHOLAS WREN 1807-1859

CAME TO TEXAS, 1833. BECAME A SOLDIER IN THE TEXAS ARMY, 1836. WAS COMMISSIONED LIEUTENANT OF RANGERS BY SAM HOUSTON, PRESIDENT OF TEXAS.

FOUGHT FOR TEXAS DURING THE VASQUEZ AND WOLL INDIAN INVASIONS. HAD HORSE SHOT FROM UNDER HIM IN BATTLE OF THE HONDO.
RESIDED IN SMITH COUNTY AT ITS ORGANIZATION, 1846. HIS WIFE MARIAH WAS A CHARTER MEMBER OF HARRIS CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH. WREN DIED HERE IN MOUNT CARMEL COMMUNITY AUGUST 28, 1869.
(RECORDED, 1968 - ERECTED 1968)

 

This page last updated:

Copyright 2005 - 2011
East Texas Genealogical Society and the Individual Contributors
 

Smith County TXGenWeb Project
TXGenWeb Project
USGenWeb Project