CASSIUS ALBERT BURKS, born 03 OCT 1879, Sipes Springs, Comanche Co., TX, son of WILLIAM HENRY BURKS and FRANCES MORGAN. He died 19 SEP 1955, Rusk, Cherokee Co., TX, He married KATE DEANA ENGLEDOW 04 FEB 1900, in Cherokee Co., TX, Kate, the daughter of ROBERT D. ENGLEDOW & HARRIETT CATHERINE BELL, was born 13 APR 1878, Troup, Smith Co., TX. She died 19 MAR 1963, Jacksonville, Cherokee Co., TX. They are both buried in the Bullard Cemetery, Smith Co., TX. Tombstone
Kate began teaching at the early age of sixteen in the Bell Schoolhouse, at Bunkum, Texas. Next, she taught at Fincastle and then at the Nebo Community, where she was teaching when she married. They bought their farm from Ernest "Pete" Clements, two and a half miles west of Bullard, Texas, September 2, 1910, raised a family and lived the remainder of their lives there.
- 1. Clifford Bell Burks, born 09 MAR 1901, died OCT 1901, Troup, Smith County, Texas, buried: Troup Old City C, Smith Co., TX. His mother, Kate, had gone to Troup to take care of her father, Robert D. Engledow, who had been very ill. She took 7 month old Baby Clifford with her. Clifford became very ill and died. Clifford is buried next to his grandfather, Robert D. Engledow, in an unmarked grave.
- 2. Ernest Logan Burks, born 24 SEP 1902, Nebo, Cherokee County, Texas. He married Pauline Margaret Hill, 22 DEC 1922, in Bride's home, died 30 DEC 1989, buried: Restland Memorial, Dallas, Texas. Ernest died 22 FEB 1991, Dallas, Texas, buried: Restland Memorial, Dallas, Texas. Ernest was called Logan. Logan owned and operated the largest independently owned variety store west of the Mississippi, until 1969, when he sold the business and retired. He was a Scottish Rite Mason, a member of the Hella Temple Shrine, a charter member and Past Master of the Love Field Masonic Lodge of Texas in Dallas and received a lifetime certificate as a teacher of Masonic work. Logan was also a charter member and Past Worthy Patron of the Love Field Eastern Star. Pauline was the daughter of George Henry Hill and Clara Gunther. She was a secretary until her marriage. She was also a charter member of the Love Field Eastern Star and Past Worthy Matron. Pauline and Logan were members of Highland Park Presbyterian Church in Dallas, Texas.
- 3. Gordon Engeldow Burks, born 20 JAN 1904, Nebo, Cherokee County, Texas. He married Ima Blow, 30 MAY 1926, in Tyler, Smith County, Texas. Gordon died 26 DEC 1992, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, buried: Georgetown, Texas. Began teaching in 1922, Bullard, Texas. Gordon received a Masters Degree from Texas A & M in 1942. He continued to work in the field of public education until 1963. At that time he had been principal at Georgetown Elementary School for 13 years. Gordon returned to teach at Southwestern University, in Georgetown, for another 6 years, finally retiring in 1969.
- 4. Oscar Harold Burks, born 14 NOV 1906, Nebo, Cherokee County, Texas. He married Maurine Darby, 30 APR 1926, in Halletsville, Texas, died 19 AUG 1978, Dallas, Texas, buried: Laurel Land Ceme, Dallas, Texas. Ordained deacon in the Southern Baptist church. Worked for a commercial investigating firm as a general investigator and specialized investigator of crimes against the oil industry. Also worked in the Intelligence Department for the oil companies. Harold was a Mason and a member of the Rotary Club. He was an Engledow/ Burks family historian & genealogist. Maurine was the daughter of William T. Darby and Jessie Shafer. After the death of Harold, Maurine printed his genealogical material. "Five Burks Brothers and Sisters Three".
- 5. Thomas Weldon Burks, born 09 DEC 1909, Copeland Communi, Smith Co., Texas. He married (1) Katherine Meek. He married (2) Kathlene Porter Riley. Thomas died 30 APR 1984, Frankston, Cherokee County, Texas, buried: Bullard Cemetery, Smith County, Texas. Weldon was considered to be an authority on the diseases of most farm livestock. He was responsible for saving many farms due to his knowledge regarding erosion prevention by land terracing.
- 6. William Loyd Burks, born 18 AUG 1911, Bullard, Smith County, Texas. He married Velma Joyce Gray, 06 DEC 1937, in Tyler, Smith County, Texas, born 26 JAN 1919, Hugo, Oklahoma, died 23 MAY 2003, Tyler, Smith County, Texas. William died 01 NOV 1994, Tyler, Smith County, Texas, buried: 03 NOV 1994, Bullard Cemetery, Bullard, Smith Co, Tex. Loyd was a farmer in early marriage. He then went to work at the Rusk State Hospital, where he was employed for 22 years. Member of the East Texas Genealogical Society and Sons of the American Revolution. A dedicated Engledow family historian and genealogist.
- 7. GERTRUDE MAE BURKS, born 30 AUG 1913, Bullard, Smith County, Texas. She married HEROD B. BICKERSTAFF, 04 DEC 1931, in Bullard, Smith County, Texas, born 02 DEC 1910, Malone, Hill County, Texas, son of JOHN THOMPSON BICKERSTAFF and TENORA CARROLL, died 06 JUN 1987, Bullard, Cherokee County, Texas, buried: 08 JUN 1987, Bullard Cemetery, Smith County, Texas. GERTRUDE died 15 APR 2002, Jacksonville, Cherokee County, Texas, buried: 18 APR 2002, Bullard City Cemetery, Bullard, Texas. Gertrude went to school after her children were grown. She worked in General Pharmacy of Nan Travis Hospital, Jacksonville, Texas. HEROD had no middle name, just the initial "B". He served several times on the Bullard School Board. He was a well known and respected East Texas produced farmer.
- 8. Frances Katrina Burks, born 22 MAR 1917, Bullard, Smith County, Texas. She married (1) Floyd Andrew Huff, 24 JAN 1939. She married (2) Reese Washington Mauldin, 05 NOV 1949. Frances died 09 APR 1965, Bullard, Smith County, Texas, buried: Bullard Cemetery, Smith County, Texas. Katrina attended Bullard Baptist Church and was a devout Christian. Worked at Ferrell Drug Store in Bullard.
- 9. Barbara Ethelyn Burks, born 01 AUG 1920, Bullard, Smith County, Texas. She married Alvin Lee Tillery, 06 JUL 1940, in Jacksonville, Cherokee County, Texas. He was born 2 MAR 1919, Cherokee County, Texas, and died 12 JUN 2004, Tyler, Smith County, Texas. He was the son of Alvin Stanton Tillery and Ellie Scott.