Smith County, Texas

This page is sponsored by the East Texas Genealogical Society

FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Troup, TX

MINUTES OF THE SESSION OF
THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
TROUP, TEXAS

In the year 1873, the Rev. W. W. Brimm of Tyler began preaching at this place and preached the first sermon ever preached in the town in the grove where our church building now stands. This was in the month of May. After this, efforts were made to raise money for the purpose of erecting a church building, the R. R. Co. having given us a lot for church purposes. Between four and five hundred dollars were subscribed, and we determined to erect a temporary building on the lot for present use. The building was ready for use, except seats, by middle of September of this year, and on the 4th Sabbath of the same month we had a communion meeting and organized a church with 8 members.

Names of those who entered into the organization were as follows: T. W. Bell, T. J. Bell, Mrs. F. O. Bell, W. B. Brooks, Mrs. Emma Brooks, J. C. Lowell, J. F. Kaiser and Mrs. Mary Rountree.

The following persons were elected to the office of ruling elders--T. W. Bell, T. J. Bell, J. C. Lowell, T. W. Bell being already an elder was installed. The other two were ordained and set apart to this office in the usual way. T. J. Bell was selected Clerk of Session, and directed to produce a suitable book for the Records.

Harriet Catherine Bell Engledow
honored for 32 years of
service in the
First Presbyterian Church, Troup,
Smith County, Texas.

In her obituary, it is mentioned that
she was "the oldest and most
enthusiastic
Rathbone Sister"

Mary Jane Bell and husband, Henry Floore,
were remembered with a name plate in the
stained glass windows at
First Presbyterian
Church, Troup,
Smith County, Texas.

Autograph Book
of
Kate Engledow Burks

Given to her for
perfect attendance
and good lessons
27 Dec 1891,

C. S. Southern
Teacher

Presbyterian SS
Troup, TX

Text Version
of the Book

Pictures and Information contributed by Gayle Basaldu

T. W. Bell Family

Robert D. Engledow Family

The First Presbyterian Church, Troup (current)

 

This page last updated:

Copyright 2005 - 2012
East Texas Genealogical Society and the Individual Contributors
 

Smith County TXGenWeb Project
TXGenWeb Project
USGenWeb Project