Smith County, Texas
This page is sponsored by the East Texas Genealogical Society
NATHANIEL JEFFERIES II, the son of Nathaniel JEFFERIES was born on 25 September 1783 at Union County, SC. He married REBECCA CORRY in 1807. Rebecca, the daughter of Nicholas CORRY and Sarah SEAWRIGHT was born in 1792, Union District, SC.
Some of the children of Nathaniel Jefferies II and Rebecca Corry are as follows:
1. JOHN III; born 29 January 1808; married Sarah GOUDELOCK 20 February 1829; died 2 November 1865 at age 57; buried at Goudelock-Jefferies Family Burial Ground, Cherokee County, SC.
2. WILLIAM CORRY, born 28 September 1809; married 1. Millicent (Milly) GOUDELOCK, 2. Evaline WILKINS. He died 31 December 1873 and is buried in the Jefferies/Littlejohn Cemetery, Smith County, TX.
3. PAMELIA CORRY, born 11 February 1811; died 21 September 1878, Tyler, Smith County, TX; buried Oakwood Cemetery, Tyler, Smith County, TX.; married Dr. Samuel Adams GOODMAN, son of Claiborne GOODMAN and Sara BANTON, 11 February 1830, Union Co, SC.
Rebecca died 8 July 1821 and is buried in the Corry Cemetery near Sardi Church in Union County, SC.
He married Frances GOUDELOCK. Children of Nathaniel Jefferies II and Frances Goudelock were as follows:
4. NATHANIEL III, born 1 February 1825; married Sarah GOUDELOCK.
5. JAMES III; born 13 July 1826.
6. SAMUEL; born 23 June 1827.
7. REBECCA; born 1828.
8. HAMLET; born 13 March 1830.
9. RACHEL, born 9 February 1835; married Thomas Durbin LITTLEJOHN.
10. DAVIS; born 28 June 1838.
11. AGNES SUSAN; born 4 September 1842.
He died on 28 February 1842 at Union Co, SC, at age 58. He was buried at Jefferies Family Cemetery, Cherokee County, SC.
WILLIAM CORRY JEFFERIES
WILLIAM CORRY JEFFERIES, the son of Nathaniel JEFFERIES and Rebecca CORRY was born on 28 September 1809. He married MILLICENT (Milly) GOUDELOCK on 28 February 1832. Mildred was born 12 January 1810 and died 20 April 1846. She is buried in the Goudelock-Jefferies Family Burying Ground in Cherokee County, SC.
Children of William Corry Jefferies and Mildred Goudelock were as follows:
1. REBECCA; born 9 December 1832; died 1900; married William F. REYNOLDS; .
2. PAMELIA GOODMAN; born 12 February 1834; died 27 October 1910; buried at Ebenezer Cemetery, Smith County, TX. Her sweetheart was killed in the Civil War and she never married.
3. JOHN C.; born 2 September 1835; died 9 Sep 1867 at age 32; buried at Jefferies/Littlejohn Cemetery, Smith County, TX. Never married - died two years after the war.
4. ROBERT D.; born 26 Jul 1838, SC; died 1909; married Becal DAVIS 13 September 1860, Smith County, TX.
5. SARAH ANN, born 28 April 1839; married Elbridge Gerry LITTLEJOHN, son of Samuel LITTLEJOHN and Elizabeth SMITH, 19 January 1861, Smith County, TX. She died 10 March 1927.
6. NATHANIEL BENTON; born 1841; died 1862. Killed in the Battle of Loukout Mountain, Knoxville, TN. Buried in Confederate Cemetery.
7. MARY E; born 1843; married William O. KAY 7 March 1865, Smith County, TX; She died 1892.
8. ALICE, born 1845; married 1. John L Kay, 14 November 1865, Smith County, TX, 2. A Jack LAWRENCE, 30 April 1874, Smith County, TX. She died in 1900. John L. Kay was born 6 March 1837 and died 8 August 1869. He is buried in the Jefferies/Littlejohn Cemetery, Smith County, TX.
William C. married EVALINE WILKINS, daughter of Terel WILKINS and Sarah HAYDEN, on 18 November 1847. She was born 10 August 1816.
Children of William Corry Jefferies and Evaline Wilkins were as follows:
9. TERREL, born 23 July 1849; married Mary Jane ONEAL, daughter of James Sylvester ONEAL and Lucinda Adeline MACE, 16 January 1872 , Smith County, TX. He died 28 March 1928; buried Starrville Cemetery, Starrville, Smith County, TX.
10. MELISSA C, born 1851; married Samuel Felix LITTLEJOHN.
11. THOMAS P, born 1857; married 1. Lula LOWRY, 2. Mamie NASH, 3. Emma J FORD.
12. JAMES EDWARD; born 1861; married Alice JONES.
A letter from Samuel A. Goodman, Jr. to A. J. Ming tells of the dissatisfaction of the Jefferies family when they first came to Texas. It also tells of their hard work.
TERREL JEFFERIES, son of William Corry JEFFERIES and Eveline WILKINS was born on 23 July 1849. He married MARY JANE ONEAL, daughter of James Sylvester ONEAL and Luncinda MACE. She was born 19 January 1854.
Children of Terrel Jefferies and Mary Jane Oneal were as follows:
1. JIMMY O., born 1 January 1873; died 22 December 1874.
2. MAUD LANE, born 13 December 1874; married Thomas Loftin ARTHUR Sr.
3. MARY EMMA, born 14 November 1876; died 31 Jul 1928; married J. P. HITT.
4. WILLIE; born 15 October 1878; died 28 October 1878.
5. SAMUEL TERREL; born 15 December 1879; married Clifford KELLEY; died 19 May 1913 at age 33.
6. CLAUDE; born 26 August 1881; died 12 October 1883 at age 2.
7. LINA EVALINE; born 12 October 1883, Starrville, Smith County, TX; married 1. J. Ross Bailey, 2. David Christopher Gleim 3 November 1922, Mitchell, SD; died April 1971; buried Starrville Cemetery, Starrville, Smith County, TX. She was Member of the faculty in 1936 at Wingate Jr. College, Monroe, NC.
8. LINDSEY; born 6 January 1887; married Ruth TIPTON, 17 March 1920, Smith County, TX.
9. GRACE AGATHA; born 25 March 1889; died 15 July 1909.
10. EARL; born 23 October 1891; married Mary Edna SIKES 16 June 1913, Smith County, TX.
Terrel died 28 March 1928 and is buried in the Starrville Cemetery at Starrville in Smith County, TX.
Restoring the Jefferies-Littlejohn Cemetery
SOURCES OF INFORMATION
Letter from Samuel A. Goodman, Jr. to A. J. Mings, copied at the Smith County Historical Society Archives
Cemetery Records of Smith County, Texas, Vol 1, Oakwood and Rose Hill Cemeteries, 1981.
Cemetery Records Smith County, Texas, Vol IV, South East Quarter, 1986.
Jeffries-Goodman Papers, Smith County Historical Society Archives
Marriage Records of Smith County, Texas 1846-1899, Published by the East Texas Genealogical Society, Tyler, TX, 1979
Smith County Marriages Book 2, 1900-1926
Terrel Jefferies Family Bible, published in the ETFR, Summer, 2002
Chronicles of Smith Co, TX, Vol. 5, No. 2;
These files are submitted by volunteers just like you! I make it a habit that anytime I work with records, whether for myself or to share with others, I submit them to the USGenWeb/TXGenWeb project. It doesn't take much extra effort and it really can help many people. I'm very grateful to the many volunteers for all the great info provided.
If you agree, please email, Scott Fitzgerald with your submission.